Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Community Music Day - A Favorite


It's my favorite part of the Christmas activities in Old Town Temecula, Community Music Day. School bands, choirs and their families bring the sounds of the holiday season to Old Town in a series of concerts at Baily's courtyard in Old Town.

Beginning at 10 a.m. you can get a huge dose of holiday cheer, watching Temecula Middle School, Gardner Middle School, Linfield Middle School and the Valley Winds perform holiday concerts.

There's something about the "group sing along" conductor Brad Hinkson encourages that makes me smile. Some of my biggest holiday smiles came as a violinist in my school orchestras. Despite my amazing performance opening the Old Town Temecula Community Theater years ago, I once was a first chair classical violinist of the "middle school" caliber. I played for 7 years before trading in a bow for a balance beam. And yes, as a good friend said at my only Temecula performance "that was very brave of you," I now do suck. A little practice would make it better - but who has time.

So I live vicariously watching the kids in the middle school bands, smile at the occasional squawk and amaze at their jazz riffs. It's good stuff. Come early, eat breakfast, be ready to sing, and wear your Santa hats.

This is pure holiday fun and it goes til 2 p.m. At 1 p.m. bring your pets and visit Santa. Souvenir photos are offered in Santa's Workshop on Main Street and donations benefit local Boy Scouts. They take the photos but you can bring your own camera.

Mark next Friday for a can't miss day as Great Oak High and Chaparral High staffs will duke it out on the Ice Rink in a Broom Ball game (like hockey on tennis shoes). Both schools will have their bands and cheerleaders cheering for the win ... and there will be pep rallies at the civic center beginning at 2:50. For info go to www.temeculacalifornia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment